Speedernet Sphere uses a web technology called PWA (Progressive Web App) to transforma VR experience into an application.
The purpose of this technology is to provide rapid access to content on the device in question and allows for offline playback.
This technology is available on:
Computer: Chrome and Edge browsers
Android: Chrome browser
iOS: Safari browser
Remember that you must use HTTPS:// hosting to access the PWA feature.
When you open the VR experience URL in your browser, a tutorial shows you the steps to install your VR experience as an application on your desktop.
A pop-up invites you to confirm or cancel the installation.
Click "Install" to start. The application is added to your desktop and opens automatically.
While you install a VR experience as an app, you can still launch it through the browser and this icon .
Wondering how to update an app if the VR experience content has been updated?
- Host the VR experience exported from Speedernet Sphere in the same location (URL link)
- Stay connected to the internet
- Open the application
- The update starts automatically
You can also use the PWA feature on Android and iOS. The installation is intuitive and guided. Like on a computer, you need the URL of your VR experience.
Remember that the PWA feature is available on your Android's Chrome browser:
- Start by launching the experience link on your Chrome browser.
- Tap the button "INSTALL THE EXPERIENCE AS AN APP ON YOUR DEVICE".
- A pop-up lets you confirm or cancel the installation. Select “Install”.
- After a few moments the message "INSTALLATION COMPLETED" appears.
Your VR experience is available on the device like a classic application and it remains available offline.
Launch the link of your VR experience on the Safari browser:
- Tap the "Share" icon at the bottom of the screen
- Select "on the home screen"
- Select on “Add”
Your experience is available on the device like a classic application and it remains available “offline”.
You can uninstall your Speedernet Sphere app(s?) just like a classic app.
With Android and iOS, if you update the content of your VR experience, host it on the same URL. Connect to the Internet on the device, then launch the application. The application will update automatically.
See you soon for the next tutorial!
I also invite you to consult the following tutorial:
"Offline" visualization: Caching